Muddy buddies, also known as monkey munch, puppy chow or doggy bag, are a timeless treat that many of us have enjoyed growing up. Although its appearance and ingredients may differ from house to house, this homemade treat usually always has cereal, melted chocolate and some powdered sugar.
While a fresh dime bag is what many already consider to be heaven in a ziplock, I and many others like me will have fond memories of opening up a bag of these crunchy, sugary treats during lunch period. We’ll remember our moms talking to each other in hushed tones, arguing over the specifics of their recipes and choice in ingredients. Is Chex the best cereal to use? Or would Raisin Bran be a healthier option?
Needless to say, muddy buddies were and continue to be a fond memory in my life. Now that many of us are adults with kids of our own, we may find ourselves sneaking a few pieces from their lunchboxes to recreate the memories that we have of ourselves growing up and eating these fun little treats.
Why settle for less when we can take it to the next level? In other words, why enjoy regular muddy buddies when you can enjoy medicated muddy buddies?
With only a few simple ingredients, you can make the adult version of these classic snacks in seconds. Perfect for movie dates, camping trips or as a lazy Sunday snack, you don’t need to have kids to enjoy these muddy buddies! Here’s how you can make them, Herb Approach style:
How to Make Medicated Muddy buddies
- 9 cups Chex or other crunchy cereal
- 1 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup medicated peanut butter (allergic to peanuts? You can substitute medicated peanut butter with regular peanut butter and use cannabutter instead of the butter listed below)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- THC Distillate Syringe (optional)
- Pour cereal into a large bowl and set it aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter or cannabutter.
- Stir until the mixture has melted and is completely combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour chocolate sauce as desired slowly over cereal, stirring gently to coat evenly.
- Pour mixture into a large plastic bag (ziplock bags work best).
- Add powdered sugar and secure; shake to coat well.
- Spread on waxed paper or clean countertop to cool. 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup servings should be sufficient for the cannabis version.
And there you have it! A fast and easy-to-make muddy buddy recipe that’s as potent as they are tasty. Don’t want to make cannabutter? Try using a THC distillate syringe instead! The distillate is potent, flavourless and odourless so it’s a great substitution if you’re not a fan of the dank taste of weed butter.