Having moldy weed is no joke. The effects of smoking moldy weed can be very negative to your health. Mold releases harmful and toxic chemicals into your system known as mycotoxins. Common side effects from these chemicals are lung infections and allergic reactions.
Stay away from moldy weed is a necessity when smoking pot. These are a few ways to inspect your herb for any mold.
Moldy Weed – What to Look For
The first thing to look for is obvious signs of mold on the bud. Sprinkles of white. These powdery substances and grey and green fuzz are definite signs of mold.
For plants being grown at home, it’s extremely important to keep an eye on mold and mildew. Caught early enough and your crop can be saved from mold overgrow.
Mold spores can travel by air and spread onto other flowers and plants. Then growing into fungus if the right conditions are met.
The marijuana plant already has a very strong musky scent in general. Although an overly, wet, damp, and sweet smell could mean your cannabis has mold.
For dryer nugs that have a fresh-cut grass smell, this could be a sign of molding. This could be in part due to a lack or improper cure.
Curing your flowers properly will help keep them fresh and safe from molding. Bacteria need to break down the remaining chlorophyll in the plant material.
3. Chest pain
Any smoke going into your lungs may leave a bit of a burn on the lungs. However, if you’re experiencing tightness or pain in the chest area, this could be a sign that you have moldy cannabis.
If you have suspected that you’ve been smoking molded pot and your chest hurts contact your doctor. These types of problems can persist if not taken care of immediately.
Allergies such as eye inflammation, mucus, or an itchy throat or mouth can be a sign of an allergic reaction to mycotoxin exposure. If the allergic reaction is bad enough, it is important to visit a doctor.
However, if this a new reaction to cannabis, it is possible that mold, mildew, or a residual contaminant might be to blame.
What do I do if I Smoke Moldy Weed?
Every person can have a different reaction to mold and mildew exposure. Those with compromised immune systems may need to visit a doctor if they are concerned with how the exposure will affect their illness.
Signs of mold exposure include:
- Nose bleeds
- Chest pain
- Dizziness, loss of coordination
- General malaise
Otherwise, it is important to pay attention to symptoms as and if they present themselves. Contact a health professional if symptoms escalate or you are concerned about consuming moldy products.