Today, we’re leaving snackland and motoring further up the edibles mountain into candy country! In the interest of getting our feet wet, we’re starting with a simple confection that’s easy to make, not to mention, way, way too easy to eat. We’re going through each step of how to make cannabis gummies.
Being the third installment in a series of articles – the first one being about marijuana edibles and the second about weed ice cream – we’re betting that this recipe will stand out from the rest and have a place in your funky cookbook for some time to come.
Let’s get started on how to make cannabis gummies!
Pre-Recipe: How to Make Cannabis Gummies
Decarb Your Weed First and Create a Tincture Second
We’ve said this before but it can’t be stressed enough. Before you can eat cannabis it needs to be decarbed. This process of applying heat converts the THCA in marijuana into THC, which can be further absorbed by the body. For our gummies we’re going to use a dry decarb and an alcohol extraction, which at first creates a cannabis tincture.
How to Decarb and Create a Tincture
Let’s get started. A basic cannabis tincture can be made using a ratio of 2 grams ground flower to 1 ounce high proof alcohol. We’re using Everclear.
For one batch of gummies we’ll be using 3 teaspoons of weed tincture, or a half ounce, so a lot isn’t needed. But tinctures have a very long shelf life and it’s infinitely useful so we recommend making more than you need.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cooking Time: 3 ½ hours | Total Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
- 2 grams of flower
- 1 ounce of high proof alcohol (i.e. Everclear)
What You’ll Need
- Baking/oven tray
- Mason jar (or another airtight container)
- Darkened glass bottles
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. Grind your bud well, spread it out on a baking tray. Bake for ½ hour in the oven to decarb your weed and get it ready for extraction.
2. Take the decarbed cannabis out of the oven and pour the cannabis into a mason jar or other container with a tight fitting lid. Add the appropriate amount of Everclear, given the ratio we mentioned above. Shake the mixture well for at least 1 minute.
3. Place the jar in a cool, dry location for at least 3 hours. Longer is fine but you risk turning your tincture green.
4. After 3 hours or more, use the cheesecloth and a funnel, to filter out the plant matter. Now add your finished tincture into darkened glass bottles.
Check out our guide to everything weed tincture-related if your satisfied with it as it is.
Recipe: How to Make Cannabis Gummies
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 1 ½ hours | Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1.6 oz box of Jello, or whatever flavor or combination of flavors that tickles your fancy
- 2 quarter ounce packets Knox unflavored gelatin
- ¼ teaspoon citric acid
- ¼ cup corn syrup (acts as a buffer to prevent sugar crystallization)
- ⅓ cup room temperature water
- 3 tsp. prepared cannabis tincture
- Cooking spray
What You’ll Need
- 3 x silicone candy molds
- Medium to large microwave-safe bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Airtight container
The recipe below, properly prepared, will tick every gummy bear box there is. Because we’re perfectionists we’ve chosen a recipe whose final product most closely resembles the Haribo gummy bears we’re all familiar with.
Of course you don’t have to use gummy bear molds. Any silicone candy mold will do. Just don’t let the bears see you because they get extremely jealous and have large teeth.
How to Make Cannabis Gummies Steps
1. Combine the Jell-O, unflavored gelatin and citric acid in a medium-large microwave-safe bowl and stir until fully blended. To this, add the water and corn syrup.
2. Stir gently, in a sweeping motion, until fully combined. Stirring too vigorously can cause air bubbles which will ruin the look of your perfect gummies. Opt for a spoon instead of a whisk for the same reason.
3. Now let the mixture rest for 5 minutes.
4. Pop the bowl in for 30 seconds. Remove it and gently stir the mixture. Now hit it in the microwave in 20 second bursts until all the solids are dissolved. Total time in the microwave will likely total around 2 to 2 ½ minutes. If you see any bubbles starting to form on the mixtures surface stop heating and stir gently.
5. Once everything is dissolved it’s time to add your tincture. 3 teaspoons is a good starter dose which produces medium-potency gummies. Stir gently but combine fully.
6. Let the bowl rest for another 10 minutes, gently stirring every couple of minutes. It should become more translucent as it sits.
7. This recipe makes roughly 100 1-inch gummy bears. You’ll need 3 average silicone molds for that amount. If your chosen mold features smaller or larger candies you’ll have to do the conversion math in your head. You can do it. We believe in you.
8. Spray the molds with cooking spray. Then fill the mold using a glass measuring cup to pour the gelatin mixture into each form, just a bit below the top.
9. Let the gummies rest on the counter for a ½ hour. Then place the gummies in the fridge for ½ hour.
10. Remove from the fridge and pop them out of the mold. You’re done! If you want them firmer, let them sit out for 2 days.
Now you’re officially done! Place them in an airtight container. They’ll last longest in the fridge but can sit out on the counter.
Cannabis Gummies Dosage
If it’s your first time, go easy.
Dosage guidelines are difficult to give here because the size and volume of gummy candies can vary widely depending on the mold you use. Eat a small amount and wait an hour to see how they affect you. Once you’ve set your baseline, gummies are a great way to measure out a standard dosage.
Happy With the Cannabis Gummies Result?
Simply, the world of marijuana edibles is full of fun, creative and foreign recipes. Experiment with different cannabis ingredients and dosages to really find out which time-travelling treat best works for your needs.
In other words, our how to make cannabis gummies recipe is just one of MANY cannabis recipes, so don’t settle!
Best of luck!